Monday, February 21, 2011

#91 - My Fair Lady

A misogynistic and snobbish phonetics professor agrees to a wager that he can take a flower girl and make her presentable in high society.

Audrey Hepburn. Audrey, Audrey, Audrey. She was a masterpiece. Truly. And I hate everyone, so for me to adore her, she'd have to be pretty awesome.

In this movie, based on a Broadway musical, she plays Eliza Doolittle, a poor flower-girl with an extremely strong (but still kind of adorable) cockney accent. 'enry 'iggins has been given the task of changing her into a lady, mostly through transforming her speech. During the course of their time together, she begrudgingly turns into a lady and Professor Higgins turns into a big jackass. Yep. You read that right... he's a jackass.

I'm sure I was supposed to consider the time and place before judging the man... but for cripes sake, he was a 'gentleman'... and should have been raised better. He discards poor Eliza when he's done with her, never giving any thought to what would happen to this poor girl who no longer belongs in the world she came from and can't live anywhere else. I won't spoil the ending for you, which is a happy one, which is expected, I suppose.

Audrey. Still can't get over her.

I want to be her... I want to dress like her, walk like her, talk like her... but as many who I'm sure have tried to emulate her before me, it's a fool's pursuit. There was only one Audrey Hepburn. All others are cheap imitations.

Also, she weighed like, 90 pounds. I have an unhealthy obsession with complex carbohydrates, making that weight unattainable.

At any rate, watch this movie and let the Audrey-envy wash over you. She was amazing. And she starred in more than just "Breakfast at Tiffany's", so watch them all. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go style my hair just like hers... but I'll do it eating cheesy mashed potatoes.

I give this movie a 3 out of 5 bowls of popcorn, mostly because musicals aren't really my thing and because 'enry 'iggins is a big jackass. Yup.

No comments:

Post a Comment