Tuesday, October 26, 2010

#96 - The Searchers

After his entire family is viciously wiped out, hardened war veteran Ethan Edwards (John Wayne) embarks on a long journey to find his only surviving niece, Debbie (Natalie Wood), who has been captured by hostile Comanche Indians. Director John Ford's richly scenic -- and controversial -- Western also stars Vera Miles, Hank Worden, Ward Bond and Jeffrey Hunter, as Edwards's riding companion, Martin Pawley.

I watched this movie and now I'm scared of the Comanches. Those are some bad dudes.

I've never watched a John Wayne movie, despite the fact that my mother is a HUGE John Wayne fan. So I watched this movie and enjoyed the actor that was John Wayne. I've been amazed during this project about the under-acting that the greatest actors did. The over-the-top acting is almost always unwarranted, and actors like John Wayne knew it. Watching this movie, you BELIEVED that he was fighting the Comanche, you BELIEVED that he hated them, you BELIEVED that he would kill his niece if she had become too assimilated. It was great to see him in this movie and I'm putting other John Wayne flicks on my Netflix queue immediately.

If nothing else, this project has given me a glimpse of the greatest actors in the history of Hollywood, and I'm grateful. I would give this movie five out of five popcorn bowls, which is saying a lot since I'm not a fan of Westerns... watch this movie and enjoy it.

Next up, Pulp Fiction. I have avoided this movie for years... I watched it up until the scene where those men were being violated and that was it for me. I can't take violence like that... luckily for me, the hubby is going to watch it with me as it's one of his favorite movies. I'll report back soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment